We are a group of artists, performers, dancers, activists, video makers, scholars and organisers. We are mixed in background, age, experiences and practices. Research, transdisciplinarity and the theme of self-determination are our common cornerstones. Through them, we explore the relationship between body and visual images, its intersections, its active potentialities. It is an open poetic process: a continuous work in progress. Which welcomes disparities and does not aim at unifying. It loves differences.
Our research is nourished by corporeal, somatic, plastic, visual, documentary and political practices. In this way, we propose to invest in an intuitive field beyond language, a visual and physical field that precedes the determination of a form and which can put back into question the self-assertiveness of the traditional scene, investigating reality with the public.
Our proposals are also inspired by some works of The Living Theatre, with whom we share the practice of open scripts, the relationship with the public and the processes of collective creation. Among our influences we can equally list: Odin Teatret and the physical theater, Tanztheater, Video Art and the artistic forms derived from somatic experience.
The collective was born in 2014 and has so far created:
- 2014/2016 W (h) o – m a n, a performance that investigates the question of gender and queer theories; it was rerun at the International Festival of Arts – Different Sensations of Stalker Teatro in Biella, at the University of Turin, at the Cavallerizza Reale in Turin, in the Fucina Underground Festival of Venezia Mestre, at the KolAm Theater of Prato.
- 2015/2017 G i r l I s A G u n sex-workers between self-determination and violence, a project that challenges some basic assumptions about prostitution; the work won the tender for co-production of the 2016 Provisional Assemblies Festival and a period of residence at the Tenuta della Scompiglio di Lucca (Italy), it was rerun at Villa Mais D’ici and the Centre National de la Danse (CND) in Paris and participated in the Festival Presente Futuro 2017 at the Teatro Libero in Palermo.
- 2018/2019 D.A.K.I.N.I. project is a multidisciplinary and transdisciplinary project aimed at investigating and creating dialectic bridges between Artificial Intelligence and new technologies and contemporary feminist theories. The project is in co-production with the Nordisk Teaterlaboratorium (NTL – Odin Teatret, DK) and with the patronage of Università degli studi di Torino and AI*IA – Italian Association for Artificial Intelligence; it’s a selected project by Cross Award 2018 – Co-production Cross Residence 2018 and it’s realized with the support of Compagnia di San Paolo within Bando ORA! Produzioni di Cultura Contemporanea. “D.A.K.I.N.I.” performance had the national première in March 2019 in Torino at Cubo Teatro for Fertili Terreni Teatro, a rerun in Cross Festival Verbania and in Museo MACRO Asilo Roma, in NTL Festival (DK) e in Acco Festival (Israel).
- 2019/2020 > AjaRiot is working on the interactive performance D.A.K.I.N.I. SUIT(E), project in residence and in co-production with In\Visible Cities – Urban Multimedia Festival, Gorizia + Scientifica (Romania) and with the patronage by NTL (DK); the project was selected for the semifinal of the Premio Dante Cappelletti 2019. SUIT(E) had the national première in September 2020 in Gradisca d’Isonzo at In\Visible Cities – Urban Multimedia Festival.
- 2020 > AjaRiot in collaboration with Riciclette performed CURA performance in Natura in Cross Festival Walk Edition 2020.